In the film, the song is begins by Melody who is enjoying her time as a mermaid under the sea while her mother, once again in mermaid form, is searching the sea for her at the same time.
Melody's lyrics revolve around her love of the sea and being a mermaid, enabling her to spend all the time she wants exploring it. However, Ariel's lyrics are remorseful in the sense that she missed the opportunity to share with Melody the fact that she is part mermaid, and now she is paying the price for it.
- Melody : Okay, get a grip, get the hang of this flipper,It's like slipping two feet into one big huge slipper. This way is left, which way is right. Oh now I'll be circling in circles all night. Oh, so this is forward, no problem. I can't believe I can do this and more. To swim in the sea like I walk on the shore. Out of my shell not closed up like a clam,Look out sea, this is me, here I am. For a moment, all of me, is alive and at home in the sea. I'm swirling and twirling so graceful and grand. Not stubbing my toes, getting stuck in the sand. For a moment, life is cool, I'm a splash in the world's biggest pool. This is more than my thoughts ever thought it could be for a moment, just one moment, lucky me.
- Ariel : If only for one moment, I had shared with you all I know. The sea wouldn't be a mystery, Oh why did you have to go.
- Melody: Everything's newer, and brighter, and bluer, and truer to life than before... Watch me soar. For a moment, I can shine, got a grin and a fin that works fine, My fingers are wringly and I really don't care If all of my curls have curled out of my hair. For a moment, I can feel, All the dreams I've been dreaming are real, Wish my mother could hear it, the sea is my song. For a moment, just one moment I belong.
- Ariel : I will find you my darling, and the moment that I do. I'll hold you close my Melody and sing the song of the sea with you.
- Ariel and Melody : Sing the song of the sea with you. For a moment, just a moment I belong.
- This the second song that Ariel sings in the sequel.
- This the first song that Melody sings in the sequel.
all information on For a Moment came from http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/For_A_Moment