BackgroundWhile being born into the famed Uzumaki clan of Uzushiogakure on July 10. Kushina lived most of her youth being caught-up in war, making her seek for a daily "peace". At a young age she was sent to Konoha and enrolled in the Ninja Academy. Wanting to make a strong first impression, she proclaimed to her class that she would be the first female Hokage. The other kids laughed at her statement, and began calling her Tomato (トマト) because of her then-round face and fiery red hair. However she hated to admit that the nickname fitted her perfectly. This prompted her to lash out, and pummel the kids who teased her, by beating them up "half to death". Thus, in addition to her red hair flying wildly around her as she did so, earned her the nickname of the Red Hot-Blooded Habanero (赤い血潮のハバネロ). In the English version, she is call the Red-Hot Habanero.
One day while not being in class, she was confront by her classmates older brother. While talking to the older genin, Kushina told him that his little sibling was bullying her but the genin didn't believe her. While the older genin decide to teach her a lesson, Kushina jumped through the tree tops, however she saw a kunai be thrown at her for the first time. She then fell from the tree and was hit to the ground by the genin. The genin then grab her by her hair, and mock her about her own hair being red. Kushina while crying and becoming angry admitted that she hated her hair. After freeing her self, she angrily beated up the genin while telling him that her hair is apart of her despite the fact that she change it. When the genin got up from the ground, he call her an outsider and told her that she'll never become Hokage. Although this hurted her while watching the genin leave, Kushina knew that Minato was watching the entire time. She confronts him by asking him if he thinks she's an outsider. As Minato tries to explain himself, Kushina accuses him of being just like the villagers. While running off, she stops running for a second and sees the Hokage Monument. She vows that she wants to protect Konoha as her new home. Kushina then stares angrily at the Hokage Monument, and vows that she no longer wants to become Hokage.
Kushina was eventually told why she had to leave her home of Uzushio and go to Konoha; because of her special chakra, she was to be the next jinchuriki of Kurama, the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox. Kushina was terrified by the idea, but she was comforted by Kurama's then-current jinchuriki, Uzumaki Mito. Before the transfer was performed, Mito told Kushina that love was the only way to tame Kurama and overcome its hate.Upon graduating from the Ninja Academy, Kushina, now a genin and at the age of 12, was kidnapped by Kumogakure ninja who wanted to make use of her special chakra in order to gain control of Kurama. As they escorted her to Kumo, she secretly plucked and left behind strands of her red hair to mark her trail in the hopes that someone would find her. Namikaze Minato, one of her former classmates that Kushina believed to be a wimp, was the only one to pick up on this. After rescuing her, he informed her that he had always admired her red hair. Since Minato proved himself to be anything but a "wimp" and liked the one thing she hated about herself, Kushina fell in love with him, now considering her red hair as the "red thread of fate" (運命の赤い糸) that had brought them together. Ultimately, Minato's reciprocated feelings helped her with overcoming Kurama. She even starts to support his dream to become Hokage.
As she grew up, Kushina became renowned for her beauty and unique ninjutsu style, including the fuinjutsu of her clan. At some point, Kushina married Minato. During the Third Shinobi War, she got to know all three of Minato's students, that are apart of Team Minato. One day Kushina came to the group by bringing them homemade food that she herself made for the team to eat, much to Nohara Rin's delight and Obito's dismay. Due to not hearing Obito thanking her for bringing food for the team, and the fact that he was acting tough in her presence by saying that he wasn't hungry; she asks him if he can take care of himself. However he didn't want any of the food that she made for them by stating that he can make his own food since he's a ninja.
At first she told Obito that he was kinda manly, but this led to Kushina getting angry at him by pummeling him on his head and having an argument with him. While having an argument with Obito as the others look on, Obito even called her violent. At night while knitting Minato's shirt, Kushina admitted that she saw most of Obito in her self, and hoped that the war would end soon. Kushina also admitted that if she has a child one day, that she wants him to act exactly like Obito. She also learned from Minato that his team's next mission is to destroy the Kanabi Bridge. Kushina saw the team off, and told Obito that he better come back alive as a promise between the two of them, because of his dream to become Hokage. She then learned of Obito's assumed death from Minato, and learned from him that Obito gave Kakashi his Sharingan. Some time after the events of the Kanabi Bridge, she learned about Rin's death from Minato.
After the war ended, she was later present to witness her husband's reign as the Fourth Hokage, being very exciting for him when first learning of it. During her ten-month jinchuriki-influenced pregnancy, she was secretly kept guarded by Hatake Kakashi under Minato's order. Midway through the pregnancy, the expecting-parents decided to name their child "Naruto" after the main character of Jiraiya's first book. When Jiraiya asked if they were sure, stating that it was a name he had just came up with whilst eating a bowl of ramen one day, Kushina said that it was a beautiful name. They even approved of Jiraiya to be Naruto's godfather. Kushina also hoped that her son and her best friend Uchiha Mikoto's youngest son Uchiha Sasuke would become friends in the future.Because the seal keeping Kurama within Kushina's body would be at its weakest during childbirth, special arrangements were made. Kushina would leave the village in secret and give birth in a remote location. Minato would help maintain the seal and Anbu would guard the area. Soon after Naruto was born, however, they were found by Uchiha Obito. Obito had killed all of the ANBU, Sarutobi Biwako, Taji, and took the newborn Uzumaki Naruto hostage, threatening to kill him as well. Minato was able to take Naruto back, but this gave Obito the chance to escape with her. Wishing to use Kurama to destroy Konoha, Obito released it from Kushina's body. The vitality inherent to the Uzumaki clan allowed her to survive the extraction, though greatly weakened by experience, Obito tried to have Kurama to finish her off but she was saved by Minato and brought to Naruto, who she stayed with while Minato went to help in the village's defense.
To stop Kurama, Minato was forced to bring it to her and Naruto's location, and both of them to its. While still weakened, Kushina used her diminished chakra to restrain the fox. Despite knowing the trauma would kill her in her current state, Kushina volunteered to have Kurama sealed back into her body so that it would die with her. Doing so would also save the lives of Minato and Naruto; such as her giving thanks to them for giving her such a happy life. However her biggest regret was to be unable to see their son grow up. But Minato suggested using the reverse Death Demon Consuming Seal on Kurama and sealing the rest of it into Naruto instead.
As this would also mean Minato's death, and consequently give Naruto a horrible and lonely life, Kushina naturally objected. Minato convinced her that it was for the best, and that doing this would also allow her to see Naruto when he was older. When Kurama realized their intentions, it tried to kill Naruto, but both she and Minato used their bodies to shield him. As Minato performed the sealing, and already at the point of death, Kushina told Naruto how much she loved him and gave him her best advice for the future; her final act in this world was to fill her son with as much of her love as possible. Minato then sealed the rest of their remaining chakra into Naruto.In the anime, before dying, the Third Hokage appeared. Kushina told Hiruzen her child's name was Naruto, and begged the elder to protect Naruto. She died shortly afterwards with a smile on her face after Hiruzen promised her, that he will protect Naruto for her. She and Minato were given a funeral to honor their sacrifice for the village, and it's next generation. Her last name was then given to Naruto by the Third Hokage, in hopes that nobody else would discover the connection between him and Minato.
PersonalityIn her childhood Kushina was described as an headstrong, impulsive, eccentric, and stubborn girl. According to Jiraiya, Kushina was talkative and a tomboyish girl. Tsunade noted that much of Naruto's personality, as well as his ninjutsu style were inherited from her. Kushina also had a catchphrase: when flustered or excited, she would end her sentences with "dattebane" (だってばね). In the anime, it is also shown that these traits are also how she hides her insecurities, such as having red hair, being a foreigner, and being Kurama's jinchuriki, along with being somewhat nervous.
As an adult, Kushina was shown to be very level-headed and cheerful. Despite her calm and kind demeanour, she still retained her quick temper from childhood and occasionally lashed out violently at others if they angered her. She also was very fearless, as her friend Mikoto was slightly surprised when she showed anxiety over labor pains. She was also overprotected to worrying about her husband and the well being of their unborn son. Including on how her unborn son would behave, by actually foreshadowing a lot of Naruto's actual personality traits. She loved her husband and newborn son very deeply, and was not afraid to sacrifice her life to stop Kurama even when she threw herself between the beast and her son when it tried to attack him. She also showed strong maternal instincts, having to correctly predicted what gender her child would be well-before giving birth. Despite the fact that she was also afraid of the harsh, and cruel life Naruto would have to endure as an orphaned Jinchuriki, she did as much as she could in her final moments to shower her son with love. Kushina even told her son that despite the fact that he was a jinchuriki now, that he should have a great and healthy life. Including to mostly find a girl that is a little bit like her.
In the anime, possibly derived from her over-excited personality, Kushina is shown to be a selective hearer. She also cared very deeply about Minato's students, and thought that Nohara Rin was adorable. Kushina would often hug and kiss Rin on the forehead. Kushina even had friendly fights with Uchiha Obito who, according to Minato, was her favorite.
In Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Kushina enjoys raising her family. She hates when Naruto doesn't eat breakfast with her and tells Minato to scold their son. When Naruto leaves to train with Jiraiya, she tells Naruto not to pick up any of Jiraiya's habits. Ironically she is afraid of Naruto becoming like Jiraiya. Once Naruto is a teenager, it's stated that Kushina's biggest fear overall is believing that Naruto is becoming a delinquent. Including that whenever she hugs her son while entering his mind, it scares him. She encouraged Naruto not to get angry all the time and to look past hatred. Kushina also tells her son she has a strong will when giving Yin Kurama to him. However she has faith, and trust in her son for protecting the shinobi world.
ApperanceTsunade pointed out that Kushina was a woman well-known for her beauty. In her childhood, she had a round face, which, with her red hair naturally framing both sides of her face, made her look like a tomato. Her attire was a sleeveless kimono-style blouse that was yellow in color and held closed with a green obi over a short-sleeved mesh shirt with a pair of dark blue shorts and brown shinobi sandals.
She had a slender, but feminine build, fair skin, plum blue eyes, fiery red hair — a common trait among the members of the Uzumaki clan — with strands that framed both sides of her face and a black clip that parts her hair to the left, keeping it out of her eyes. Ironically her hair reached her ankles. But in the anime, her hair reached her waist. She generally wore the same outfit consisting of a high-collared, sleeveless blouse under a long, loose-fitting dress. The blouses have been depicted in slate blue as well as white while the dresses have ranged from tan to green. She also wore a wristband that ranged from black to dark blue on her left wrist and shinobi sandals that have ranged from black to lavender.
While on duty, she wore a blue forehead protector with her hair tied up in a high ponytail and strands framing the sides of her face. Her attire consisted of a standard Konoha flack jacket over a black short-sleeved shirt and black form-fitting pants that reached her calves. In her adolescence, she wore a short-sleeved, tan kimono-like blouse with a dark embroidered border, held closed with a black obi, a dark skirt and stockings that stopped at her thighs along with the village's forehead protector and brown sandals.
AbilitiesWhile admitting that she was originally not good at using ninjutsu, Kushina later became famous for her unique style of ninjutsu, by becoming a high-ranking kunoichi. Even the Sannin recognized her prowess. Since childhood, she showed that she was a strong fierce barehanded fighter, while being able to swing around and pummel several kids "half to death" for teasing her, even beating up a older genin in the anime. Therefore, this made her earned the nickname the Red Hot-Blooded Habanero (赤い血潮のハバネロ).
As a member of the Uzumaki clan, Kushina was blessed with an especially strong life-force, granting her tremendous stamina and vitality plus an extremely long potential lifespan. Even for an Uzumaki, Kushina also possessed a powerful and special form of chakra, which made her well-suited for becoming the Nine-Tails' jinchuriki. Ultimately, she survived the extraction of a tailed beast minutes after giving birth to Naruto, and still provided aid to Minato in the battlefield despite being heavily exhausted. Likewise while weakened, she did not die immediately after from being impaled by Kurama's claw that was meant for her newborn son.
Hailing from the Uzumaki clan, Kushina was blessed with great talent and knowledge of advanced their fuinjutsu, some of which she would later teach to Minato. From her clan, she inherited the sealing techniques to seal a tailed beast within a target. This seal could even be doubled.
With her chakra, Kushina was able to materialise Adamantine Sealing Chains, which were strong enough to restrain and subdue the Nine-Tails, both in the real world as well as in conjunction with her seal, within her subconscious. She could also form a barrier in conjunction with these chains keeping all from entering even the Third Hokage. In the anime, during Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Kushina could perform the Four Red Yang Formation.
Kushina was proficient in three nature transformations: Wind, Water, and Yin Release.
Naruto Shippuuden (Part ll)
Confining the Jinchuriki arcDuring his training with Killer B at the Tailed Beast Temple to learn to control his tailed beast, Naruto was almost overwhelmed by Kurama's hatred, and began to undergo Version 2 transformation. Just as the hatred almost consumed him, he heard a small, clear voice speaking to him as Kushina appeared before him. Naruto initially believed that she was Kurama in disguise, and as he chided the "beast" for taking such a form, she hits him in the head. She then apologized for her short-temper, and used the word "dattebane" (だってばね) by telling Naruto that she hoped it wasn't a trait that he had inherited from her. Picking up on this and realizing Kushina was his mother, Naruto started to cry and embraced her. His happiness halted Kurama's spreading influence and Kushina used her chakra chains to restrain Kurama in order to give them a chance to talk. As the chains emerged Kurama was surprised after recognizing her chakra.
With the opportunity to speak more freely now, Kushina noted that her son had inherited her features and verbal tick, but thankfully got his father's hair color, as well as eyes. Dismissing this, Naruto noted that she was beautiful and if he had gotten her hair color as well, he would have been really handsome. Her smiles of joy soon turned to ones of embarrassment, however, when Naruto asked how she and Minato fell in love. Nevertheless, Kushina told Naruto the story of how she had come to Konoha as a child and was almost kidnapped by Kumo-nin, but subsequently rescued by his father. Afterwards, she told Naruto the words that she reserved for people who complimented her hair, and with the words of "I love you" resonating throughout him, Naruto was able to break free of the beast's hatred. Kushina later watched on and helped Naruto extract and separate the Kurama's chakra from its body noting that her son was a powerful fighter.With her remaining time, she told him about the Kyuubi's attack on Konoha and how the beast came to be sealed within him. After her story was finished, she apologized for placing such a burden on him. Naruto replied that it didn't matter, for even though she and Minato weren't there to show their child love, he knew that they had loved him long before Kurama was sealed into him; thus, he didn't blame her and Minato for anything, and was happy to be their son. Overjoyed, Kushina tearfully hugged Naruto, and thanked him for letting her and Minato be his parents, before she completely faded away.
Fourth Shinobi War arc
- Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream
In Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Kushina and Minato did not die during the Kyuubi's Attack on Konoha. In which the half of Kurama was sealed into her while the other half is sealed within her son. During Naruto's childhood, when he enrolled into the Ninja Academy. Kushina met up with Mikoti's family by meeting Sasuke for the first time. Since Sasuke was introduced by Fugaku. Kushina was also shown placing her hand on Naruto when Minato asked Sasuke to be friends with Naruto. Years later, Minato discusses with Kushina that he a meeting with the Third Hokage. Minato recalls accompanying the Third to a meeting with the Uchiha, to ensure their continued allegiance. When Minato asks how Naruto's doing, Kushina tells him that he was excited about a new mission with Kakashi that it had made him go to bed early. Due to this, Kushina goes upstairs to wake Naruto up. She then berated him for jumping out of bed and not having breakfast with them, and accusing Minato of spoiling him instead of helping her scold him.
Later she learns that her son will leave with Jiriaya for his two years of training. On the day that she sees her son off along with her husband, Sakura and Team Asuma, she tells Naruto she had to see him off since Naruto claimed that she didn't have to. Kushina also tells Naruto to observe Jiriaya's three rules of shinobi. But she then becomes worry that Naruto might inherite Jiriaya's bad habits, while admitting this to Minato who tells her not to worry. Jiriaya also tells Kushina that if Naruto gets in his way, that he will handle it by sending him to Mount Myoboku. She then watches her son leave as Naruto says goodbye to everyone.
Two years later upon learning that Naruto had finally returned home the other day after his training with Jiriaya, she starts to prepare a big meal for him. But she is then confronted by Sasuke's police unit, who comes into her house demanding to know where Naruto is. Kushina tells them that she doesn't know about her son's interference with them at all, while also saying that Naruto would never do something like that. Kushina then angrily asks them who are they working for, and also tells the unit that she will inform Minato about them coming into her house unannounced. While also saying that the unit will be in big trouble for doing this. She then becomes shock when the unit threatens her by saying they will arrest her. But she is saved by her son's timely arrival who angrily asks the unit what's the meaning of this, and why would they come into the hokage's house unannounce.
Later at night, Kushina came to Minato's office to talk to him about something important. But Minato scolded her saying that she shouldn't be out at night since their on lockdown. Kushina then told Minato that Naruto sneaked out of the house and that she can't find him or Shikamaru at all in the village. She knew something wasn't right, so she went to ask Sakura and Ino to tell her where Naruto went off to with Shikamaru. But to her surprise they remained quiet, she thinks to her own theory upon being worry that the girls were hiding the fact that Naruto is becoming a delinquent. Kushina then asked Minato if he was even listening to her, but her husband calmed her down by telling her that Naruto is probably training somewhere since he believes that Naruto would never leave the village which putted Kushina at ease.
Later Tsunade updates Minato on the shinobi Sasuke attacked when he left the village, but Shizune arrives with news that someone infiltrated the village. Pain arrives and talks to Tsunade, vowing to cause the village pain but they don't know what he is talking about. Pain attacks the village with a gigantic Chibaku Tensei trapping everyone inside. Inside the Chibaku Tensei, Minato discovers he can't teleport outside. The Chibaku Tensei begins compacting, so Shikaku and Inoichi begin coordinating a strategy to protect the village from being crushed. Therefore Kushina tells Minato that this technique is a sealing technique that she can help him break out of. So Minato asks Hiruzen, Tsunade, and Kushina to help him set up a Four Red Yang Formation to counter the attack and buy some time. She and the others perform the technique so the village doesn't get crush from the inside.
While feeling hatred from Kurama deep in her stomach, Kushina tells Minato telepathy that she usually keeps Kurama at bay. But now Kurama is acting mean, they then realized that it's Naruto. Kushina decides that she has to teach Naruto "that" technique to which Minato refuses thinking that she'll die. But Kushina tells Minato that she has to do this because she is Naruto's mother, to which Minato agrees. Kushina happily thanks Minato while telling him that she won't die. While being in Naruto's subconscious she hugs him by his waist which scares him. She then asks him why is he angry, to which he tells her that he saw Yahiko destroyed a village he was at three years ago and he is now trying to destroy their village. Along with the fact that he also hurted Himata. Kushina hugs him, and tells him that he shouldn't be angry by this while showing Yin Kurama to him, which shocks Naruto.
She tells Naruto how she intended to seal Kurama as a whole inside of him, but Minato had sealed Yin Kurama into her and had sealed Yang Kurama into Naruto. Naruto then angrily tells Kushina that he hates being a Jinchuriki because of how the villagers of Konoha treats him. She then calmly tells him that instead of being angry all the time, that he should sense how his comrades are doing. To which Naruto does as his mother tells him, and to his relief Hinata is alright. Kushina then tells that this one thing not to be angry about. She then tells Naruto that it time to combine Kurama as a whole, but Naruto refuses since his mother is a Jinchuriki because he thinks that she'll die. But she tells him that she won't die because she has a strong chakra and a strong will. This leads to Naruto having faith in her, since Yin Kurama tells them that he will only give Naruto half of his chakra. Agreeing to these terms, Kushina and Naruto bumps fists together as their chakra combines, while she tells him that it's up to him now as she gives half of Yin Kurama's chakra to Naruto before disappearing which makes him go into a non lasting Nine Tail Chakra Mode. Upon returning from Naruto's subconscious, Kushina happily tells Minato that the plan work.
After Pains attack, she resumes her duties as a house wife.
In the alternate timeline, Minato and Kushina have a son named Menma who is the parallel version of Naruto. Sometime after Menma was born, the Black Nine-Tails was removed from Kushina and sealed within her child. Unlike most the people Naruto and Sakura knew, Kushina's personality is essentially the same in this timeline; sweet and caring yet easily angered to violent outbursts. Also in this timeline, Kushina is alive alongside Minato, continuing to serve Konohagakure alongside her husband as ninja while also able to enjoy being parents, raising their son in a loving and stable lifestyle.
Unknown to the couple that Menma later disappears, then is replaced by Naruto and the Sakura of the normal timeline who arrived in this world. When Kushina and Minato returned to the village after completing a mission, it shocked Naruto by their living presence. As Kushina's took "Menma's" attitude as expecting them to die on mission, Kushina slugged Naruto for the lack of confidence.
While Naruto decides to continue the act of being Menma to not raise problems, he refuses to get close to the parallel parents, viewing them as nothing but fakes. Kushina however refuses to let her son act so disrespectful, quickly intimidating Naruto into joining dinner. Later, during a mission to retrieve the Red Moon Scroll left by Jiraiya, Kushina without hesitation threw herself in the way to protect Naruto from an attack by the guarding Gamabunta. While annoyed at Naruto's reckless actions, she quickly showed how much she truly cared for her son's wellbeing with a tearful hug, finally making Naruto let the woman into his heart. The following night, Naruto celebrated Kushina's birthday with joy. Later, a masked man appeared with the desire to obtain the Red Moon Scroll. Showing his tremendous power, the masked man quickly defeated Kushina and several other Konoha-nin. When Sakura was kidnapped, Naruto voiced his desire to save her. Kushina and Minato however refused to let Naruto go after Sakura, fearing too much that he would die against the masked man. As Naruto realized the difference between this world and his true parents, that the couple here were more overprotective parents than trusting their child, Naruto made his true identity known before going after Sakura.
Later, Kushina and Minato went to help Naruto, still viewing him as an ally. Ultimately, the masked man was defeated and revealed to be the real Menma corrupted by the black Nine-Tails' malice. As Memna was freed returned to normal, Kushina quickly rushed to check on her child. Naruto and Sakura said their goodbyes before they were returned to their own world as the technique that bound them to this world was broken.
There is a genjutsu in a glowing lake of a cave that shuts intruders away in a world of memories. The person's memories will appear on the moon. Naruto, Hinata, Sakura, Sai and Shikamaru fell into the genjutsu when they dive into the lake. When the team wakes up from their dream and continues to move to the other surface of the lake, Minato and Kushina can be seen together in one of the moon.
LegacyMore than anything, Kushina wanted to protect her newborn son Uzumaki Naruto. This was why she against Minato's decision to seal the Nine-Tails into him. She did not want Naruto to have the hardships that jinchuriki had to endure during their lives. She did not want to leave her son an orphan if Minato carry out his plan, which would also cost him his life. Kushina wanted to sacrifice her own life, and reseal the beast into herself. In the end, she ultimately agree to Minato's plan, which would also protect their village. Kushina imparted her final words to Naruto by which how he should live. Right before she died, she request Sarutobi Hiruzen to take care of Naruto, and he agreed. She then died with a smile on her face. She would later play a major role in Naruto's success in taking control of the Nine-Tails; a power which was later heavily relied on for the success of the Allied Shinobi Forces.
Also, Kushina is quite similar to her son in personality, as observed by both Kurama and her husband Minato. This has become a source of pride and joy for Minato, giving him the heart and strength to continue fighting with Naruto against his former student Obito.
Three years later, when Naruto became a young adult, he would later find a teal light blue striped scarf that she knitted for him before he was born. Konohamaru would present this to him, to which Naruto would greatly treasure it to honor her memory. However, this unintentionally proved to be an obstacle to Hinata's efforts to give him a red scarf that she knitted for him as a symbol of her absolute love for him. Once Naruto learned his true feelings for Hinata, he stop wearing the scarf that his mother made him. She and Minato would later become the late grandparents of Naruto and Hinata's children, Boruto and Himawari. Including that her monstrous temper was pass down to her granddaughter. Whereas her dream of not becoming the Hokage was pass down to her grandson.
Uzumaki Kushina is a playable character in the following video games:
- Naruto Shinobi Collection
- Naruto Shinobi Collection Shippu Ranbu
- Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Blazing
- Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (playable in story mode)
- Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (playable)
- Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (non playable))
- Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (playable)
- Naruto X Boruto Shinobi Voltage
- (Last words) "Lord Third...please protect my child...he's name is Naruto...me and Minato picked the name from one of Jiraiya sensei's novel."
When she met again for the first time in years, she was happy to see him. Kushina then asked him to guess who she is, however he was confuse and mistook her for Kurama's true form. Upon hearing this Kushina laughed really hard, but Naruto who still thought she was Kurama got hit on the head by his mother for the misunderstanding. After Kushina apologized for hitting him, Naruto realized she was his mother after hearing her catchphrase and learning about her personality. Before Kushina can say anything about being his mother, Naruto tearfully embraced his mother. Naruto found his mother to very similar to him in terms of personality, and also complimented on her red hair as "beautiful". After learning how his parents met and how they died in what actually occurred during Kurama's attack on Konoha, Naruto told his mother that he could finally understand what a parent's love felt like and that he didn't blame her or Minato, instead he felt glad to be their son. After his father's passing, Naruto explained to Hagoromo how his mother Kushina truly was a good person compared to the heartless Kaguya.
Three years after the war, Naruto found a teal light blue striped scarf knitted for him by his late mother and began treasuring and wearing it to honor her memory. However, this unknowingly interfered with Hinata's attempts to give Naruto a red scarf she knitted for him to remind him of her feelings for him. He would later stop wearing his late mother's scarf in Hinata's presence after realizing his own feelings for Hinata.
Kushina first met Uchiha Obito long after he became Minato's student. Regularly during the team training sessions, Kushina would often join then and help out, most memorable in preparing meals for them. Despite putting up an indifferent attitude to Kushina's kind gestures, he and the kunoichi formed a strong liking towards each other, which Kushina constantly pushing him to improve. Years later when she gave birth to her son, Naruto. Obito kidnapped her to have Kurama be ripped out of her, so he can use the beast to destroy Knoha. After he took Kurama out of Kushina, he comments that she was lucjy to have survive from having a tail beast ripped out of her. He then tried to use Kurama to kill Kushina, but he was shock that Minato arrived in time to save and had took her to a safe location. For Kushina's part, even though she gave her life to save her son and home village in order to protect Naruto from Kurama. She was oblivious that it was Obito who was behind all of the chaos that happen that night.
Her Clan members
The Konoha Villagers
- Namikaze Minato (Husband/dead)
- Uzumaki Naruto (Son & True Counterpart)
- Hyuga Hinata (Daughter in law & Partnal Counterpart)
- Uzumaki Boruto (Grandson)
- Uzumaki Himawari (Granddaughter)
- Uchiha Mikoto (Best Friend)
- Sarutobi Biwako & Taji (Mid Wifes/dead)
- Kushina's name was possibly inspired by the mythological Kushinada-hime (櫛名田比売), Susanoo's wife. When she was about to be devoured by the serpent Yamata no Orochi, Kushinada-hime was saved by Susanoo in exchange for becoming his wife. Susanoo transformed the girl into a comb and placed her in his hair, then defeated the serpent. He afterwards built a palace in Izumo where he married her. Her husband's surname, Namikaze (波風), could also be a reference to this myth, as Susanoo was the god of the sea and storms.
- When first introduced in the anime, her eyes were depicted as violet-blue in color and her hair was portrayed as a deep plum color. This was corrected however, in subsequent episodes. However, in Naruto Shippuuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, both her first and second appearances were shown in Naruto and Minato's stories respectively.
- In the English version, her nick name is the "Red-Hot Habanero".
- Kushina was presumably a good cook, as Minato preferred her cooking the most.
- As Kushina was nicknamed for a red pepper and Minato was famed as the "Yellow Flash", Naruto's appropriate self-styled title of "Orange Hokage" refers to the fact that the color orange is a mixture of red and yellow.
- On the cover of Naruto chapter 503, Kushina's hair resembles Kurama's tails.
- She is the third known jinchuriki that have survived the extraction of a tailed beast, along with Black Zetsu, Otsutsuki Hagoromo, Killer Bee, Uchiha Obito, and her son Uzumaki Naruto. This was due to her clan's vitality to which she inherited.
- Jiraiya's recollection of Kushina while she was pregnant appeared during the end credits of Naruto Shippuuden movie 4.
- In the Naruto character popularity polls, Kushina was ranked as the 21st most popular character in the 7th.
- Kushina and Minato died the same day Naruto was born, which was October 10.
- In the manga, Kushina's hair is shown to fall down to her ankles. But in the anime, it stops at her waist.
- The shinobi outfit she wore in the anime is a direct replication of the one her alternate self wore in the Genjutsu World.
- Studio Pierrot's Settei sheets of Kushina show that she was 145 cm when Minato saved her from Kumogakure.
- Kushina's appearance and personality was inspired by Anne Shirley, from the "Anne Of Green Gables" books, by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery.
There are several differences between her character in the current timeline, and in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream:
- In the current timeline, Kushina died way before the start of Part I. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Kushina never died before the start of Part I. Therefore she got to live with Minato to happily raise Naruto from his childhood all the way up to the start of Part II.
- In the current timeline, Kushina panics by wondering how Naruto will behave as a child, even foreshadowing his actual personality. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, she panics by thinking that Naruto might become a delinquent.
- In the current timeline, Minato sealed Yin Kurama into him and Yang Kurama into Naruto. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, he seals Yin Kurama into Kushina and Yang Kurama into Naruto.
- In the current timeline, Kushina met Sasuke when he was an infant. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, she meets Sasuke during his and Naruto's Ninja Academy entrance ceremony.
- In the current timeline, Kushina never learned what Naruto ate throughout his whole life. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, she cooks all the food that Minato and Naruto eat.
- In the current timeline, Kushina never met all of Naruto's other friends. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, she does know all of Naruto's friends.
- In the current timeline, Kushina never performed the Four Red Yang Formation technique with the previous three Hokage. However in Tsunade Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Kushina performs the technique with Minato, Hiruzen, and Tsunade.
- In the current timeline, Naruto becomes scare of Kushina when she told him that she beated up the bullies who picked on her. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Naruto becomes scare of Kushina whenever she hugs him by his waist.
- In the current timeline, Minato performed the Parent and Child Tail Beast Mode combo with Naruto. However in Tsunade's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream, Naruto does this combo with Kushina instead. But she does this by letting Naruto shared half of Yin Kurama's chakra in order for him to use it to enter Nine Tail Chakra Mode completely.
According to the databook(s):
- Her birthday was July 10, & her bloodtype was B.
- Kushina's hobbies were pulling pranks & chatting.
- Kushina's favorite food was Salt Ramen. While her least favorite was coffee & anything bitter.
- Kushina didn't want to fight anyone in particular.
- Kushina's favorite phrase was "Don't give up until the very end" (最後まで諦めない).
- Kushina mentions that her hair became her own "red thread of fate".The red string of fate, also referred to as the 'red thread of destiny', 'red thread of fate', and other variants, is an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend and is also used in Japanese legend. According to this myth, the gods tie an invisible red string around the ankles of men and women who are destined to be soul mates and will one day marry each other. Often, in Japanese culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger. The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break. This myth is similar to the Western concept of soul-mates or a twin flame.
- During the incident when Kushina was kidnapped, Minato was the only rescuer who noticed that she had been leaving a trail of red hair. Kushina stated that her red hair had brought her to Minato, the person of her destiny and it has became her own "red thread of fate".
- In the Naruto character popularity polls, Kushina was ranked as the 21st most popular character in the 7th Popularity Poll.
Kushina has many similarities to Gaara's late mother, Karura.
- Both were marry to the Fourth Kage of their respective village.
- Their son was a Jinchuriki.
- Their blood type was inherited by their son.
- Both died after giving birth.
- They both said a kind caring message to their son before they died.
- Both of their sons become friends many years later. (For example : The Chunin Exams/after the fail invasion of Konoha)
Kushina also has many similaries with her son, Uzumaki Naruto.
- Both are orphans.
- Both were consider the weakest in their class, and were not great at using ninjutsu until they got older.
- Both of them are energetic, aggrestive, kind and talkative.
- Both lived on their own while living in Konoha, and have the same bloodtype.
- Both of their allies admire them when they get older, and learned forbidden techniques on the day they graduate from The Ninja Academy.
- Both would not use violence unless they are involved in a fight,
- Both would pull pranks during their childhood.
- Both of them have the same ninjutsu fighting style.
- Both love eating Ramen Noodles.
- Both of them are the Jinchuriki of Kurama the Nine Tails Demon Fox.
- Both are from the Uzumaki Clan, and are a descendant of the Senju Clan.
- Both of them reunite for the first time in years in Naruto's mind so Naruto can learn how to control Kurama's chakra.
- Both consider their love interest to be weird when they first met them during their childhood. But started to fall in love with them when they got older. (For Kushina : she meets Minato as a child and falls in love with him when she is a pre-teen. Whereas for Naruto : he meets Hinata at the age of 4 and falls in love with her at the age of 19)
- Both of their love interest are from a clan that is a true prodigy. (For Kushina : she is in love with a Namikaze clan member. Whereas for Naruto : he is in love with a Hyuga clan member)
- Both were rescued by their love interest when they got older. (For Kushina : she is saved by Minato from Kumo shinobi. Whereas for Naruto : he is saved by Hinata from Pain)
- Both are acknowledge by their love interest for their determination, and strength. (For Kushina : Minato admires her for being strong and cheerful. Whereas for Naruto : Hinata admires him for being kind and to be Hokage)
- Both acknowledged their true love's goals and dreams. (For Kushina : she admires Minato's dream to be Hokage. Whereas for Naruto : he admires Hinata for being a hard worker)
- Both of their love interest are their childhood best friend. (For Kushina : Minato. Whereas for Naruto : Hinata)
- Both risked their life to protect someone precious to them. (For Kushina : Naruto. Whereas for Naruto : Hinata)
- Both of them have many nicknames that they are known for throughout their lifetime. (For Kushina : Tomato/The Red Hot-Blooded Habanero. Whereas for Naruto : The Showoff Number One Unpredictable Noisy Ninja, and The hero of Konoha)
- Both have a similar unsuccessful catchphrase. (For Kushina : Dattebane. Whereas for Naruto : Dattebayo)
- Both can stand up to bullies that pick on them. (However Kushina beats up her bullies. Whereas Naruto pull pranks on his bullies)
- Both have a best friend from the Uchiha Clan. (For Kushina : Mikoto. Whereas for Naruto : Sasuke)
- Both are respected for being heroes by the same village that disliked them for being the Jinchuriki of Kurama. (Both : Konohagakure)
Kushina has some similarities with her daughter in law, Hyuga Hinata.
- Both didn't like being bullied in their childhood.
- Both are great at martial arts.
- Both have long hair, and are great at knitting.
- Both would settle arguments calmly instead of with violence.
- Both try to get to know their love interest when they became genin.
- Both stay by their comrade's side when they are in in battle.
- Both are fearless, and tries to not show their fears in front of their allies.
- Both are a great cook, including that they care about their friends and family.
- Both of their hair is a dark color. (For Kushina : red. Whereas for Hinata : blue)
- Both had their own red thread of fate. (For Kushina : she fell in love with Minato because of her hair. Whereas for Hinata : she fell in love with Naruto because of his ruin red scarf)
- Both fall in love with someone, and would marry them once they reach adulthood. (For Kushina : Minato. Whereas for Hinata : Naruto)
- Both were shock when their husbands confessed that they love them. (For Kushina : when Minato confessed that he loved her hair, and didn't want to lose her. Whereas for Hinata : when Naruto confessed that he didn't have any parents or friends, and now wants to spend the rest of his life with her)
- Both were kidnapped by Kumo shinobi for their special ability. (For Kushina : she was kidnapped for her chakra. Whereas for Hinata : she was kidnapped for her Byakugan)
- Both were rescue by someone after they got kidnapped. (For Kushina : Minato. Whereas for Hinata : Naruto)
- Both were kidnapped again by a different enemy for a different reason. (For Kushina : she was kidnapped by Obito, so he can use Kurama. Whereas for Hinata : she was kidnapped by Toneri, so he can marry her)
- Both were rescued again, and found out that their husbands defeated the enemy very differently. (For Kushina : she learns that Minato stop Obito from controlling Kurama. Whereas for Hinata : she sees Naruto save Toneri from getting kill by the sun)
- Both have a nickname that they hated during their childhood. (For Kushina : Tomato. Whereas for Hinata : Byakugan Monster)
- However both gained a new nickname when they got older. (For Kushina : the Red Hot-Blooded Habanero. Whereas for Hinata : Byakugan Princess)
- Both dislike something about themselves during their childhood. But got over it when they got older. (For Kushina : her hair. Whereas for Hinata : being call a dropout)
- Both of them were against a plan that would put the person that they care about in danger. (For Kushina : leaving Naruto an orphan. Whereas for Hinata : refusing for Boruto to go on a dangerous mission with Sasuke)
- In the end both of them agreed to these terms that ended up saving Naruto's life for good. (For Kushina : seeing that the plan was best for Naruto and the village. Whereas for Hinata : seeing that Boruto finally acts Naruto while wearing her husbands old jacket, and Sasuke's scratched forehead protector)
- Both of them would feel bad about how their son was being treated. (For Kushina : making Naruto an orphan, and a jinchuriki. Whereas for Hinata : feeling bad that Boruto has a strained relationship with Naruto being the Hokage)
- In the end both of them become happy after their sons forgive them about what happen to them. (For Kushina : hearing Naruto tell her that he never blamed her for making him an orphan, and a jinchuriki including that he is happy to be her son. Whereas for Hinata : becoming happy that Boruto finally respects Naruto being the Hokage, and longer has a strained relationship with him)
- Both have Hina in their name. (For Kushina : Kush(hina). Whereas for Hinata : (Hina)ta)
- In the Naruto SD anime, Hinata's hair floats up the exact same way as Kushina's when she is extremely angry.
Kushina has many similarities with the late Masaki Kurosaki from Bleach.
- Both had long hair.
- Both had a sassy tomboyish personality.
- Both of their past on how they meet their husband is revealed. (For Kushina : she Minato when she enrolled at the Ninja Academy. Whereas for Masaki : she met Isshin while he was fighting a hollow)
- Both are seen being rescued by their husband. (For Kushina : being rescued by Minato from Kumo shinobi. Whereas for Masaki : being rescued by Isshin from hollowification)
- Both of their past is reveal in the franchise. (For Kushina : being a jinchuriki. Whereas for Masaki : being a quincy)
- Both are the mothers to the main characters. (For Kushina : Naruto. Whereas for Masaki : Ichigo)
- Both get killed by a demon. (For Kushina : Kurama. Whereas for Masaki : Grand Fisher)
- Both gave a happy message to their son before dying. (For Kushina : telling Naruto to have a happy life as a jinchuriki. Whereas for Masaki : telling Ichigo to never stop smiling)
- Both of their deaths have a huge effect on their sons. (For Kushina : it made Naruto have a harsh life as a jinchuriki. Whereas for Masaki : it made Ichigo no longer be happy)
- Both we're thanked by their sons for protecting them on the day that they died. (For Kushina : Naruto told her that he was happy she risked her life to save to him, and that he is happy to be her son. Whereas for Masaki : Ichigo told her that he is doing just fine without her, and that he is grateful that she saved him on the night of June 17)
- Both of their sons know the Anniversary of their death. (For Kushina : Naruto knows that she die on his birthday, October 10. Whereas for Masaki : Ichigo knows that she die on the day that Uryu's mother got sick, June 17)
- Both are seen holding their sons when they were an infant. (For Kushina : she has Naruto's face not covered. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : she has Quasimodo's face cover)
- Both are seen with their husband. (For Kushina : Minato. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : Quasimodo's Father)
- Both are the mothers to the main characters. (For Kushina : Naruto. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : Quasimodo)
- Both are seen risking their own life to save their son. (For Kushina : holding back Kurama with her chains. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : running from Frollo while he chases her on his horse)
- Both were kill on screen in a dark way while their sons are still an infant. (For Kushina : she coughs out blood after using her chains. However she uses her body as a shield, and gets implanted by Kurama's claw. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : she runs when Froollo catches up to her. However when Frollo grabs her son she gets hit on the head by a steel boot, and breaks her neck as she lands on the stairs by falling backwards)
- Both cared about their son from the start. (For Kushina : she wanted Naruto to have a happy life as a jinchuriki, even though he had whisker marks on his face. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : she wanted Quasimodo to be a part of society despite the fact that he was deformed)
- Both made contact with someone that was kind before they got kill. (For Kushina : she knew Hiruzen. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : she knew about the archdeacon) The only difference is that Kushina begged Hiruzen to raise Naruto. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother try to claim sanctuary from the archdeacon but he didn't answer the door in time)
- Both loved their son dearly, and only wanted to make sure that he was safe from their enemies. (For Kushina : she wanted to keep Naruto save from Obito. Whereas for Quasimodo's Mother : she wanted to keep Quasimodo save from Frollo)
Kushina has some similarities with Tod's Mother from The Fox and the Hound.
- Both are the mothers to the main character. (For Kushina : Naruto. Whereas for Tod's Mother : Tod)
- Both embrace their son when he is a infant. (For Kushina : she hugs Naruto by rubbing his face after he is at a safe house. Whereas for Tod's Mother : she hugs Tod after bringing him to a fence)
- Both have someone witness their death. (For Kushina : it was Hiruzen who witness her death. Whereas for Tod's Mother : it was Big Mama that hear her get kill)
- Boyh were killed in the prologue of their respective movies. (For Kushina : she was kill on screen. Whereas for Tod's Mother : she was kill off screen)
- Japanese : Emi Shinohara (2009 – Present)
- English : Laura Bailey (2014 – Present)
all information on Uzumaki Kushina is from http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kushina_Uzumaki